We all know that caffeine helps keep you awake and focused. For the most part, this is exactly what you’re looking for when you’re drinking coffee, but what the hell is actually going on up in your brain when you’re gulping down that fifth espresso for the day?
(The SUPER Chill coffee hangout featured above from Instagram User @themillandfoundry)
Your central nervous system has a neuromodulator known as Adenosine. When they bind with they’re appropriate receptor, your neural activity slows down and you begin to feel sleepy. Caffeine is an Adenosine-receptor antagonist, which means that it also binds to the same receptor, but rather than pumping the brakes on your neural activity it speeds everything up and reduces those other pesky neuromodulators trying to bring the party down.
Not only that- It also causes your pituitary gland to release more hormones, including Adrenalin, to keep you alert and energetic. It’s the perfect one-two punch to your system if you’re looking to block the ability to sleep while still operating at “peak” performance.
* * *
Like anything, over-consumption can lead to some pretty scary side effects. Caffeine has a half-life of Six Hours which can negatively effect your sleeping patterns (duh…) but it also raises your blood pressure and your LDL Cholesterol levels when consuming less filtered coffees like Espresso, French Press, or Turkish style coffee.
But coffee consumption has also shown a significant impact impact in reducing your risk of numerous diseases and even some cancers!
Team Coffee Bean
- 2 Cups per day reduces women’s chances of having a stroke by 20%
- 4 Cups per day can reduce your chances of developing Type 2 of diabetes by 50%
- 2 Cups per day reduces your risk of Cirroshis of the Liver by 80% (despite the fact that Diabetes and your Liver are usually at odds with each other)
- 3-5 per day Cups reduces your risks of developing Alzheimer’s by 65%
- 1-3 Cups per day may reduce abnormal heart rhythms
- It has also been shown to reduce your risks of developing Parkinson’s Disease, Asthma Attacks and Dementia
- 6+ Cups per day reduces the odds of any prostate cancer by 20% and cuts down the odds of a lethal version of the same cancer by 60%
- 1-3 cups reduces risk of metastatic prostate cancer by 30%
Boring Only Water For Me, Please and Thank You
- Stains your teeth
- May cause heartburn
- Effects your body’s ability to absorb minerals and vitamins, such as magnesium, zinc, and iron
- Effects sleep patterns
- Coffee is one of the crops most heavily sprayed with pesticides
- The roasting process releases carcinogens such as: cresote, pyrimidine, tars, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (apparently)